Skip to main content

Exception Handling With Exception Policy

This is how I would think of an application at the very basic level:
Now this works great. But one thing that is missing in this picture is Exception Handling. In many cases we pay very less attention to it and take it as "we'll cross that bridge when it'll come to that". We can get away with this as in many application as exceptions does not stop it from being in the state "is the application working" as long as we code it carefully and at the very least handling the exceptions in code blocks.
This works. But we end up having try catch and if else everywhere and often with messy or no direction to what type of exception is to be handled where and how. Nonetheless, when it comes down an enhancement that depends upon different types exceptions, we will end up writing/modifying code every where, resulting in even messier code. I'm sure no one wants that. Even, in scenarios, a custom handler is not the answer either. Cause this way we will still need to make changes all over our code where we have used that handler.



The hero that can save us from this predicament is this namespace: á•™(`▿´)á•—
 Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling
So the idea is very simple.
- Think about what kind of exceptions may occur in you application like read exception, write exception, heck even not implemented exception. (at the very least the  "awesome" application can have "awesomegenericexception"
- Define a policy for each. For each policy we'll have our own implementation or channel in to an existing implementation.
- apply these policies where necessary.

How it looks:
- in config:
<configSections>
    <section name="exceptionHandling" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Configuration.ExceptionHandlingSettings, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="true" />
</configSections>
<exceptionHandling>
    <exceptionPolicies>
        <add name="AwesomeExceptionPolicy">
            <exceptionTypes>
                <add name="All Exceptions" type="System.Exception, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"
                    postHandlingAction="ThrowNewException">
                    <exceptionHandlers>
                        <add name="Wrap Handler" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.WrapHandler, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
                            exceptionMessage="Awesome Exception Occured." exceptionMessageResourceType=""
                            exceptionMessageResourceName="Awesome Exception Occured. This is so awesome that you are going to get a text message for it :)."
                            wrapExceptionType="Awesome.Lib.Exceptions.AwesomeExceptionPolicyImpl, Awesome.Lib, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" />
                    </exceptionHandlers>
                </add>
            </exceptionTypes>
        </add>
    </exceptionPolicies>
</exceptionHandling>

- in code "the boss of exceptions":public class ExceptionManagerFactory : IProvider
{
    ExceptionManager exceptionManager;
    public Type Type
    {
        get
        {
            return this.GetType();
        }
    }
    public object Create(IContext context)
    {
        return GetExceptionManager();
    }
    public ExceptionManager GetExceptionManager()
    {
        if (exceptionManager == null)
        {
            IConfigurationSource config = ConfigurationSourceFactory.Create();
            ExceptionPolicyFactory factory = new ExceptionPolicyFactory(config);
            this.exceptionManager = factory.CreateManager();
        }
        return this.exceptionManager;
    }
}

- in code "the injection":Kernel.Bind<ExceptionManager>().ToProvider<ExceptionManagerFactory>().InSingletonScope();

- in code "the implementation":public class AwesomeExceptionPolicyImpl : ApplicationException
{
    public AwesomeExceptionPolicyImpl(string message)
        : base(message)
    { }     public AwesomeExceptionPolicyImpl(string message, Exception innerException)
        : base(message, innerException)
    {
        Console.WriteLine("to err is human :)");
    }
}
- in code "the use":
ExceptionManager exManager; // injection. Can be done in the super duper base class.
exManager.Process(() =>
{
 YouMyAwesomeTask();
}, "AwesomeExceptionPolicy");


private void YouMyAwesomeTask()
{
 // do the awesome task.
}


Here, I am only implementing the policy for System.Exception. But this can be for other exception types as well. Where the type does not need to be anything more than just a type or even just a message.


- So when it will come down to future modification we will only have to touch one class. Or in the worst case very little change in the code.
- And the overall outcome is even better you write less code. While implementing your method you only think about what policy does it fall under. How that is handled/implemented that's not your problem.
- Even you can make up policy as you go and implement them at later point or channel them to one implementation.
- And ofcourse, CLEAN CODE.

\ (•◡•) /

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AIOps Agents - PoC to Prod - OpenClaw to Kagenti

AI agents are rapidly transforming software engineering—introducing new architectural patterns, terminology, and operational workflows designed to automate repetitive tasks. One of the most compelling emerging use cases is Agents for Ops . In this post, I share my journey building a Kubernetes namespace monitoring agent. Think of it as a digital intern performing Level 1 SRE tasks: it monitors K8s workloads and automatically remediates failures strictly within the guardrails of a provided knowledge base—nothing more, nothing less. I built 2 agents: 1 for K8s namespaces per cluster and 1 for VMs fleet; but to keep this post short I will focus on the k8s-namespace-monitoring-agent.   The Demo: OpenClaw: Kagenti: The usecase: My usecase is simple: The Environment: Two workloads (a web server and a database-backed microservice) running on OpenShift, with a "Chaos Monkey" injecting random failures to simulate real life application failures. The Knowledge Base: A mapping of known...

Maximise GPU utilisation and self serve GPU as a Service

GPUs are a critical yet expensive commodity for AI workloads. Justifying their high cost requires maximizing utilization. To keep things in focus, we are not discussing token consumption or tokeneconomics here; This is about GPU optimisation (at the infra and platform). In this post I will describe an approach to building an optimized GPU-as-a-Service using the below key components: GPU Sharing : Increases workload density and optimising GPU usage. Model As A Service (MaaS) : Standardizes and centralizes model deployment and consumption. Kueue : Controls prioritisation, duration and placements of GPU workloads. Self serve : Enables different roles to self serve to utilise GPUs available within the organisation for usecases. GPU Sharing + MaaS + Kueue + Self-Serve = GPU-as-a-Service Solution overview: The big picture: The above goal translates to below high level overview: Demonstration of GPU-as-a-Service in action: Let's dive into the bits now. GPU Sharing: GPUs were des...

The story of a Hack Job

"So, you have hacked it" -- Few days ago one of the guys at work passed me this comment on a random discussion about something I built. I paused for a moment and pondered: Do I reply defending how that's not a hack. OR Do I just not bother I picked the second option for 2 reasons: It was late. It probably isn't worth defending the "hack vs" topic as the comment passed was out of context. So I chose the next best action and replied "Yep, sure did and it is working great.". I felt like Batman in the moment. In this post I will rant about the knowledge gap around hacking and then describe about one of the components of my home automation project (really, this is the main reason for this post) and use that as an example how hacking is cool and does not always mean bad. But first lets align on my definition of hacking: People use this term in good and bad, both ways. For example: "He/she did a hack job" -- Yeah, that probably...

A CQRS Microservice Architecture - My Way

Microservice Architecture is the new trend in the industry. When I thought of building a decisioning engine to work as my personal assistant I decided to design it as a swarm of Microservices. The most compelling selling point about Microservice Architecture which resonated well for me was its ease of maintainability and that's a big factor for a hobby project like this which has a lot of custom logic programmed into it and requires a lot of frequent changes. In theory, Microservice should fit right in. I tried doing it in the Monolithic way and I failed !!. So, will Microservices solve it for me? Let's find out. In this post I will do it in the "Software Engineering" way. Background: Few weeks ago I created a wifi controlled water system that I can control via my Home Assistant (using my phone even if I am on the other side of the planet, like Batman). And this is working great for me. Read about that here: Smart wifi controlled irrigation system . Bu...

Openshift-Powered Homelab | Why, What, How

I wanted to build a Homelab for some time but it was taking a backseat as I always had access to cloud environments (eg: cloud accounts, VMware DC etc) and the use cases I was focusing on didn't really warrant for one. But lately, some new developments and opportunities in the industry triggered the need to explore use cases in a bare-metal server environment, ultimately leading to the built of my own homelab, called MetalSNO. In this post, I will discuss some of my key reasons for building a homelab, the goals I set for it, and the process I followed to building one from scratch. I'll conclude with some reflections on whether it was truly worth it and what I plan to do with it going forward. Compelling reasons (The Why ) My uses cases for a homelab weren't about hosting plex server, home automation etc (I have them on Raspberry PIs for some years now). My Homelab is really about exploring technologies and concepts that are on par with industry trend. Below are some of the ...

Hall of justice - Authorisation Greeting System

Ever since I watched the Young Justice EP-1 the security system of the Hall Of Justice and Mount Justice wow-ed me. After all it was built by Batman. You see similar AI driven voice guided system in pretty much in all sci-fi series these days. I always dreamed of having something similar of my own. Well, now I have it (sort of). Although we not quite in the flying cars era yet (disappointment) but IOT powered locks are somewhat normal these days. The adoption rate is great.  Some background: What is this Hall Of Justice Authorisation system? This is the security system that Batman built for Hall Of Justice. The movies haven't shown it yet but there're several scenes in the animated series and comic books. Basically, it is a AI powered voice guided intelligent security system that scans bio signatures (like retina, body dimensions, temperature, heart rate) through a scanning device and identifies which member of the justice league it is, logs entry then gr...